I don’t know about you, but nothing quite says Summer like the smell and taste of coconut! It always reminds me of the beach and sun kissed days. This recipe takes traditional onion rings and adds a little summer kick to them by adding the faint taste of a Pina Colada…and they are amazing! Your guests will love them as a Summer appetizer. Enjoy!!
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups prepared Frozen Bacardi Mixers Piña Colada
- 1-3/4 cups well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 cups for dredging
- 1-1/2 tsps salt
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 large red onions, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 1 liter olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together eggs, Bacardi Mixers Piña Colada, buttermilk, flour, salt and cayenne until smooth. Place the flour for dredging in a separate bowl.
- Heat 1″ of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 4 or 5, dredge onion slices in flour and dip rings into batter, letting excess drip off.
- Cook in skillet until golden brown, about one minute per side.
- Transfer browned rings to a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, turning once, until crisp.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes to cool. Salt to taste and serve with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce.